Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
Last updated: March 1, 2020
These terms and conditions of use describe your rights and responsibilities with regards to use of Conquer Cancer® websites as described in more detail below; please read them carefully before you start using any of the foregoing.
The Website and the Content are made available solely for your personal use and for general informational purposes. You agree to comply with all applicable laws while using the Website and the Content.
You may only access the Website using authorized means. It is your responsibility to check to ensure you download the correct software for your device. Conquer Cancer is not liable if you do not have a compatible device or if you have downloaded the wrong version of software for your device.
Certain additional terms applicable to your use of specific services are located below, including the following:
- Conquer Cancer Social Media Channels
- Peer to Peer Fundraising Pages
Conquer Cancer reserves the right at any time in its sole discretion to modify, suspend, withdraw or terminate the Website, the Content, or any services provided through the Website (or any part thereof), and/or your use of or access to them, with or without notice. Conquer Cancer may also delete, restrict or bar access to or use of some parts of the Website, or the entire Website and any related Content and files by users, including registered users.
Conquer Cancer will not be liable to you or any third party if for any reason all or any part of the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period. We will not be liable for any modification, suspension, withdrawal or termination of the services or Content provided through the Website, or loss of related information.
If you are dissatisfied with the services provided through the Website, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue your use of the Website.
or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential and you must not disclose it to any other person. You are solely and fully responsible for all activities that occur under your Username or Password. You agree that you shall monitor your account for use by minors and you will accept full responsibility for any unauthorized use of your Username or Password by minors. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized access to or use of your Username or Password or any other breach of security. You also agree to ensure that you log out of your account at the end of each session. You should use particular caution when accessing your account from a public or shared computer so that others are not able to access your account or view or record your Password or other personal information. Conquer Cancer has no control over the unauthorized use of any Username or Password and expressly disclaims any liability derived from such use.
Conquer Cancer is a Virginia not-for-profit corporation based in the state of Virginia in the United States. Conquer Cancer makes no representation that the Website, the Content, or services available through the Website are appropriate or accessible outside of the United States or in all locations. Access to the Website may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Website from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws from your home nation, and the country, state and city in which you are present while using the Website.
Conquer Cancer and our Website are based in the United States and, regardless of where you access our Website, the information collected as part of that use will be transferred to and maintained on servers located in the United States. Any information we obtain about you will be stored in accordance with U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and standards, which may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. By using our Website, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States.
You agree that you will not use the Website or Content:
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation (including, without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the U.S. and other countries).
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm other individuals, including minors, in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information, or otherwise.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any “junk mail”, “chain letter,” “spam,” bulk mail, or similar solicitations.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate Conquer Cancer, any Conquer Cancer employee, another user or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using email addresses associated with any of the foregoing or by spoofing Conquer Cancer’s or someone else’s identity).
- To forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers (including URLs) in order to disguise the origin of any Content or User Contributions transmitted through the Website.
- To misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- To disrupt the normal flow of dialogue or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to use the Website.
- To engage in activities that would violate any fiduciary or contractual relationship.
- To collect or store personal data about other users of the Website unless specifically authorized by such users.
Prohibited Forms of Access and Interference.
You agree that you will not:
- Use the Website to engage in any conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Website, or which, as determined by us, may harm Conquer Cancer or users of the Website or expose them or us to liability.
- Use the Website in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the Website or interfere with any other party’s use of the Website, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Website.
- Access the Website using any robot, spider, or other automatic device, process, or means for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the Content, without the prior consent of an authorized Conquer Cancer representative.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the Content or for any other unauthorized purpose without the prior consent of an authorized Conquer Cancer representative.
In using the Website, including any interactive features of the Website, you agree not to post any User Contribution or material that does not comply with the Content Standards set forth in Section 14.
You are prohibited from violating or attempting to circumvent the security of the Website. You agree not to:
- Access data not intended for users or log into a server or account which you are not authorized to access.
- Attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of a system or network or to breach security or authentication measures without proper authorization.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of the Website, the server on which the Website is stored, or any server, computer, or database connected to the Website.
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Website or with service to any user, host or network.
- Introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, software, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or posting.
- Use manual or automated software, devices, scripts, robots or other means or processes to access, "scrape," "crawl," or "spider" any Content contained on the Website.
- Engage in "framing," "mirroring," or otherwise simulating the appearance or function of the Website.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website.
You agree that it is your responsibility to install anti-virus software and related protections against viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, bots or other computer programming routines or engines that are intended to damage, destroy, disrupt or otherwise impair a computer's functionality or operation.
Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. Conquer Cancer will investigate occurrences which may involve violations of system or network security and may involve and cooperate with law enforcement authorities in prosecuting users who are involved in these violations.
You expressly agree that Conquer Cancer has no responsibility for or control over the User Content, materials, or information that you or other Website users post on the Website. Conquer Cancer makes no representation that your use of the Website will comply with applicable laws. Additionally, we do not represent, warrant or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy, quality, usefulness or reliability of the Website or the Content. Any of the Content may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material. Any reliance you place on the Content is at your own risk, and we disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from such reliance by you or by anyone who may be informed of the Content.
The Website may include content provided by third parties, including materials provided by other users, bloggers and third-party licensors, syndicators, aggregators and/or reporting services. All statements and/or opinions expressed in these materials, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the Content provided by Conquer Cancer, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily express the opinion of Conquer Cancer. We also do not endorse any opinions expressed in or through any Content available on the Website.
YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE WEBSITE, SERVICES, AND CONTENT IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS,” “AS AVAILABLE,” AND “WITH ALL FAULTS” BASIS. CONQUER CANCER DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, AND WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION (1) ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, AND (2) ANY WARRANTY REGARDING THE USEFULNESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, ACCESSIBILITY, QUALITY, SUITABILITY, TRUTH, ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE WEBSITE AND THE CONTENT.
YOU ASSUME ALL RISK FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM ACCESSING THE WEBSITE OR OBTAINING ANY CONTENT FROM THE WEBSITE , INCLUDING ANY DAMAGES (AS DEFINED IN SECTION 8 BELOW) RESULTING FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES AND OTHER HARMFUL MALWARE. IF YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR CONTENT RESULTS IN THE NEED FOR SERVICING OR REPLACEMENT OF EQUIPMENT, DEVICES, OR DATA, CONQUER CANCER SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RESULTING DAMAGES (AS DEFINED IN SECTION 8 BELOW). YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
The Content does not constitute medical or legal advice, and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or treatment of individual conditions. The Content is not comprehensive, and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed medical professional or other traditional source of medical information. The mention of any product, service, organization, activity or therapy on the Website should not be construed as an endorsement by Conquer Cancer. Conquer Cancer assumes no responsibility for any injury or damage to persons or property arising out of or related to the Content or the Website.
Patients with healthcare related questions should call or see their physician or other healthcare provider promptly, and should not disregard professional medical advice, or delay seeking it, because of the Content.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, CONQUER CANCER AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, MEMBERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND OTHER REPRESENTATIVES (COLLECTIVELY, “CONQUER CANCER PARTIES”) DISCLAIM AND WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OF BUSINESS, REVENUE, PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA, ELECTRONICALLY TRANSMITTED ORDERS OR OTHER ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE) (“DAMAGES”) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE OR THE CONTENT, EVEN IF CONQUER CANCER HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN ADVISED OF, OR REASONABLY COULD HAVE FORESEEN, THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, HOWEVER THEY ARISE, WHETHER IN BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DAMAGES DUE TO: (a) THE USE OF OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE, ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO THE WEBSITE , ANY CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE, OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES LINKED TO SUCH CONTENT, OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES; (b) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION, OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED, OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO, THROUGH, OR FROM THE WEBSITE; (c) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA, MALICIOUS OR CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR OR FALSE OR FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS; OR (d) CONTENT OR INFORMATION YOU MAY DOWNLOAD, USE, MODIFY OR DISTRIBUTE.
In the event you have any dispute with one or more third party as a result of your use of the Website, or are in any way damaged as a result of any third party in connection therewith, you hereby release CONQUER CANCER Parties from and covenant not to sue or otherwise make a claim, demand or file any legal action or institute any legal or regulatory proceedings against CONQUER CANCER Parties for any Damages of whatever kind or nature, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, whether foreseeable or not, disclosed or undisclosed.
The Website and all of their respective features and functionalities (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video and audio, and the design selection and arrangement thereof) and all of the Content are owned by Conquer Cancer, its licensors or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. All rights relating to the same are reserved.
- As expressly authorized by Conquer Cancer in writing.
- Your computer may temporarily store copies of such materials in RAM incidental to your accessing and viewing those materials.
- You may store files that are automatically cached by your Web browser for display enhancement purposes.
- You may print or download one copy of a reasonable number of pages of the Website for your personal, non-commercial use and not for further reproduction, publication or distribution.
- You may link to a reasonable number of pages of the Website, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part. You agree to cooperate with us in causing any unauthorized framing or linking immediately to cease. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission in our sole discretion and without notice.
The foregoing permissions are granted on the condition that:
- You do not remove or modify any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices or disclaimers from Content or copies of materials from the Website.
- You add a permission notice (e.g., "Used with permission") to such Content.
- You do not access or use any part of the Website or Content for any commercial purpose.
- Your use of the Content does not imply that Conquer Cancer endorses, sponsors or is affiliated with any product, service, person, or entity.
- Content will not be copied or posted on any networked computer or published in any medium, except as explicitly permitted by valid permission or license covering such materials.
- You do not modify, decompile or reverse engineer any Content.
- You do not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics without permission from Conquer Cancer.
As used herein, “Foundation Trademarks” means all company names, product and service names, related names, terms, marks, brands, logos, designs, trade dress, slogans, and other designations Conquer Cancer or its affiliates use in connection with the Website or Apps and their respective products and services. You must not use any of Conquer Cancer Trademarks without the prior written permission of Conquer Cancer. You may not remove or alter any Foundation Trademarks without Conquer Cancer’s prior written permission. You acknowledge Conquer Cancer’s rights in Conquer Cancer Trademarks. You agree not to incorporate any Foundation Trademarks into your trademarks, service marks, company names, Internet addresses, domain names or any other similar designations, for use on or in connection with your or any third party’s products, services or information. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any requests concerning use of Foundation Trademarks.
Conquer Cancer is committed to respecting others’ intellectual property rights, and we ask our users to do the same. It is Conquer Cancer’s policy to terminate the user accounts of repeat infringers. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement on the Website, please send a written notice of claimed copyright infringement to Conquer Cancer’s registered agent:
Teri L. Champ, Senior Counsel
Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
2318 Mill Road, Suite 800
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
In your notice, please provide the following information:
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest.
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Website, including but not limited to the URL.
- Your address, telephone number, and email address.
- A statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
We have the right to:
- Disclose your identity or other information about you to a third party who, in Conquer Cancer’s sole discretion, reasonably claims that material posted by you violates the third party’s rights, including his, her or its intellectual property rights or privacy rights.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Website or the Content.
- Fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through the Website.
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason in our sole discretion.
- Take any action with respect to any User Contribution that we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion.
However, we do not undertake to review all material before it is posted on the Website, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you post and you, not Conquer Cancer, have the responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy and appropriateness. None of Conquer Cancer Parties are responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions posted by you or any other user of the Website.
These content standards apply to any and all User Contributions and use of Interactive Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions, posted material and any use of the Interactive Services must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, inaccurate or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, age or any other protected class.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Violate the legal rights (including the rights of publicity and privacy) of others.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist in any unlawful act.
- Be likely to cause annoyance, inconvenience, duress, distress, discomfort or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other promotions, bartering or advertising not approved in advance in writing by Conquer Cancer.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
- Includes unauthorized disclosure of the personal information of third parties.
- Constitute electioneering, such as exhortations to vote for or against any candidate for public office
The Website may contain links to other sites, applications, and resources provided by third parties or references to specific fundraisers by name, address, or affiliation. You acknowledge and agree that (a) Conquer Cancer is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, (b) all links and identifications are provided solely for your convenience and for other informational purposes, and (c) Conquer Cancer does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites, resources, or such fundraisers or their affiliations.
19. Parental Notice
Pursuant to 47 U.S.C. Section 230(d) as amended, Conquer Cancer hereby notifies you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software, or filter services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protection is available on the Internet (e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content-control_software).
20. General Terms
Export Laws. Content, services and products derived or obtained from the Website may be subject to the U.S. export laws and the export or import laws of other countries. You agree to comply strictly with all such laws and, in particular, shall: (a) obtain any export, re-export or import authorizations required by U.S. or your local laws; (b) not use the Content, services, or products from this Website to design, develop or produce missile, chemical/biological, or nuclear weaponry; and (c) not provide Content, services, or products from the Website to prohibited countries and entities identified in the U.S. export regulations.
Contact Information. You may send your questions regarding the Website and Content to the appropriate contact, listed below:
Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
2318 Mill Road, Suite 800
Alexandria, VA 22314
REVIEW THIS SECTION 21 CAREFULLY. IT LIMITS YOUR ABILITY TO LITIGATE CERTAIN CLAIMS IN COURT, YOUR RIGHT TO HAVE A JURY DECIDE CERTAIN CLAIMS, AND YOUR ABILITY TO COMBINE CLAIMS AND TO BRING CLAIMS THROUGH CLASS ACTIONS. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT BY USING AND/OR BECOMING A REGISTERED USER OF THE WEBSITE, YOU CONSENT AND CHOOSE TO HAVE SUCH CLAIMS SUBMITTED TO BINDING ARBITRATION. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT NO ARBITRATION OR PROCEEDING WILL BE COMBINED WITH ANOTHER WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF ALL PARTIES TO ALL AFFECTED ARBITRATIONS OR PROCEEDINGS.
A. Mandatory Arbitration of Certain Claims.
Before you take a dispute to arbitration or to small claims court, you must first contact us in writing and describe (a) the nature and basis of the Claim or dispute; and (b) the specific relief sought and give us an opportunity to resolve the dispute. Similarly, before Conquer Cancer takes a dispute to arbitration, we must first attempt to resolve it by contacting you. If you and Conquer Cancer do not reach an agreement to resolve the claim within sixty (60) days from the date such notification is provided, you or Conquer Cancer may commence an arbitration proceeding.
The amount of any settlement offer shall not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator determines the amount, if any, to which the parties to the arbitration are entitled. After Conquer Cancer receives notice that you have commenced arbitration, it will promptly reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee required by the arbitration administrator, unless your Claim is for greater than $75,000.
If, after finding in your favor in any respect on the merits of your Claim, the arbitrator issues you an award that is greater than the value of Conquer Cancer’s last written settlement offer made before an arbitrator was selected, then Conquer Cancer will pay you the amount of the award or $10,000, whichever is greater.
If Conquer Cancer prevails before the arbitrator, and if we show that you acted in bad faith in bringing your claim, then Conquer Cancer may seek to recover the AAA’s fees and expenses of the arbitrator from you.
B. Class Action Waiver.
This Website and Conquer Cancer Social Media Channels may provide certain social media features that:
- Enable you to link from your own or certain third-party websites to certain Website Content or to content on Conquer Cancer Social Media Channels.
- Enable you to send emails or other communications with certain Content, or links to certain Content.
- May cause limited portions of Content to be displayed or appear to be displayed on your own or certain third party websites.
You may use these features solely as they are provided by us and otherwise in accordance with any additional terms and conditions we provide with respect to such features. Subject to the foregoing, you must not:
- Cause the Website or portions of the Website to be displayed, or appear to be displayed by, for example, framing, deep linking or in-line linking, on any other site or application.
We may disable all or any social media features and any links at any time without notice in our discretion.
24. Peer to Peer Fundraising. Users who register and create a page in connection with our peer to peer fundraising may be required to agree to additional terms disclosed on the registration page.
Content. Any and all information or materials made available on the Website by Conquer Cancer, including, without limitation, any data, text, software, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, and other materials, but excluding User Contributions as defined below.
Password. A secret series of characters, typically alphanumeric (meaning it consists of both letters and numbers), that enables a user to access a file, computer, or program. The user must enter its, his, or her password before the computer or system will respond to commands. The password helps ensure that unauthorized users do not access the system. In addition, data files and programs may require a password. A password should be something that nobody but the user could guess.
Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”). Information that identifies or is uniquely associated with an individual, such as a name, tax payer identification number, home address, telephone number, email address, birth date, credit card number, ), proof of US Citizenship or Residency (for our Medical Student Rotation and Resident Travel Award for Underrepresented Population or other grant programs), as well as state of licensure, state license number, and national provider number (NPI) (for collecting Sunshine Act information relating to grantees).
User Contributions. Information provided by Website users to be published or displayed on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or to third parties.
Username. A name used to gain access to a computer system or program. Usernames, and often, Passwords, are required in shared systems, such as the Internet. In most such systems, users can choose their own usernames and passwords.